There are actually three National Foods celebrated today: National Raspberry Popover Day, National Raspberry Tart Day & National Chocolate Custard Day. Since I am a chocolate lover, I have chosen to talk about Chocolate Custard!!!
- Custard is a variety of culinary preparations based on a cooked mixture of milk or cream and egg yolk.
- Depending on how much egg or thickener is used, custard may vary in consistency from a thin pouring sauce (crème anglaise), to a thick pastry cream used to fill éclairs.
- Due to the fact that it is a very fine organic powder, custard powder is EXPLOSIVE!
- The most common custards are used as desserts or dessert sauces and typically include sugar and vanilla.
- Custard bases may also be used for quiches and other savory foods.
So go make some chocolate custard, just don’t blow it up. 🙂