A Macaroon is a small cookie made with almonds, sugar and coconuts. Sometimes, it has flavorings and topped with chocolate! Do not confuse these with the French Macaron, which is made from Meringue. Both are delicious!!!!!
Here are five facts about Macaroons:
- The original macaroon was a “small sweet cake consisting largely of ground almonds” similar to Italian amaretti.
- The English word macaroon and French macaron come from the Italian maccarone or maccherone.
- Most recipes call for egg whites (usually whipped to stiff peaks), with ground or powdered seeds, generally almonds or nuts.
- The Scottish macaroon is a sweet confection with a thick velvety centre covered in chocolate and topped with roasted coconut.
- In North America, the coconut macaroon is the better known variety.