Think of the taste of Nutella in cake form! YUM, YUM, YUM!!!
Five facts about Hazelnut Cake:
- The hazelnut (also called the Filbert) blooms and pollinates in the middle of the winter. These trees can keep producing nuts for several hundred years.
- Over 95% of the U.S. commercial production of the nut is in Oregon’s Williamette valley.
- The first commercial hazelnut orchard in the state of Oregon was the Dorris Ranch in Springfield.
- One theory of the origin of the name ‘filbert’ is that it comes from St. Philibert, a 7th century Frankish abbot, whose feast day is August 20, which happens to be in the middle of the nutting season in Europe.
- The nuts begin to grow in the spring, and the are allowed to ripen until they fall off the trees and are then harvested.