The peanut, also known as the groundnut and the goober, is a legume crop grown mainly for its edible seeds. Legumes are edible seeds enclosed in pods ~ therefore, peanuts are legumes!
Facts about Peanuts:
- Peanuts grow under grown, not on trees.
- They provide the best source of concentrated protein in the plant kingdom.
- Peanuts are self-polinating.
- Peanuts and peanut butter are the most popular nut choice and comprise 67% of all nut consumption.
- Archibutyrophobia is the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth.
- Studies show that people who eat nuts regularly live 2-3 years longer than those who don’t.
- The nut allergy is among the most common food allergies.
- Roasted nutshells were used as a coffee substitute during the civil war.