I love Artichokes, but I really have to be in the mood to eat the heart. I know I’m weird. 😉
Here are some facts about the Artichoke and it’s Heart.
- The artichoke is the unopened “flower” bloom of a thistle plant.
- A medium sized globe artichoke is fat free and has only 25 calories.
- 3% of the world’s herbal tea consumption is dried artichoke tea.
- 40% of the world’s artichokes are canned or jarred.
- California is known as the artichoke capital of the world. They supply nearly 100% of North American fresh artichokes.
- The first mention of artichokes in literature was around 40-70 AD in a book on the medicinal uses of plants called The Greek Herbal of Dioscorides.
- Artichoke was first introduced the artichoke to France in the 16th century by King Henry II’s wife, Catherine de Medici. She said, “If one of us had eaten artichokes, we would have been pointed out on the street. Today young women are more forward than pages at the court.”
Maybe at lunch today, I will have Spinach and Artichoke Dip to celebrate!!